London 1904

Wednesday 20 June 2007

48. 1914 Post Sailing 1

In the latter part of 1914 I am almost certain that F.A.I. had moved to Edinburgh, one thing is for sure he certainly wasn’t at sea.

Interestingly the next 3 poems in his book have names noted to them. Initially I thought they were dedications to past loves or people he knew but further research has uncovered otherwise.

The first one is noted ‘Ada Crossley Sept 1914’

Ada Crossley was an Australian singer (born 3rd March 1874, died 17th October 1929). She regularly performed in England and made her home in London.

The poem is entitled ‘Sunshine and Rain’. Further researching I have found that a Scottish poet/songwriter called F. Wyville Home wrote the lines

Tho' the rain is on the river,
Yet the sun is on the hill.
- Sunshine and Rain

I have not been able to find anything about F. Wyville Home except he was a Scot and he was born in 1851(date of death unknown)… I think leafing through real books may assist me.

This is a song F.A.I. obviously must have admired. I wonder if he had actually heard or maybe even witnessed, Ada Crossley singing this along the way? I must try and find how it was sung!

Sunshine and rain
The rain is on the river but the sun is on the hill
And I know the clouds will sever when the storm has had its will
Set your then on the morrow if the sky be gray today
For the darkest of your sorrow be ye sure will pass away
Lift your eyes to your day giver look up higher hoping still
Though the rain is on the river the sun is on the hill
T’is the winters white snow shower that defends the shivering root
T’is the falling of the flowers that gives birth to fruit
Then arise from helpless moping nor repine at each annoy
There is room for wider hoping if your days are void of joy
Time is kind and will deliver all your days of every ill
Though the rain is on the river the sun is on the hill


No comments: