London 1904

Thursday 28 June 2007

59. 1915 The Highland Bonnett

By the time F.A.I. wrote this (& I am yet to be convinced this is one of his... although I may be doing him an injustice here) he had met Granny as the address of Duke Street was her home.

The Highland Bonnet all Scotch FAI


My heart leaps up when’er I hap within the camp on a Highland Bonnet
A plain or dice board Scottish cap with tails and torrie red upon it
The camp dissolves – my fancies free in happy dreams go northward roaming
The islands anchored in the sea al mystic in the tender gloaming
The burns beneath the moss alighting, the sea mews white against the sky
The hills their skirts of mist a**ilting, the peewits lone bewailing cry
I would there myself to dow it and stride the braes in Highland bonnet
II
My heart lifts up when to my ear there floats the tongue of Scottish ladies
The soldier men who stalked the deer or paced the links goufin caddies
The scene ‘as changed my heart is filled with songs of Burns so peerless telling
Of royal hearts with anguish killed the cross of love at loves dispelling
In varied moods the lyrics run from grave to gay with lightsome changing
From scared grief to ribald fun, the gamat whole of life o’er ranging
Burns seiged the human heart and won it the pride of every Scottish bonnet
III
My heart leaps up when on the breeze there floats the sound of pipers chanting
The droneing hum of scottish bees the skirl of war cry fierce supplanting
The scene is changed I hear the lilt of crooning wails the gladness stilling
I see the swinging tartan kilt on every field where blood is spilling
I hear the pipes swell fierce and loud the fearless ranks of Scottish leading
Or drone laments above a shroud. Orpheaus charms their notes exceeding;
*** pibrochs call the Highland Bonnet
Would I were young enough to don it

1915
Duke Street Edinburgh





No comments: