London 1904

Monday 13 August 2007

69. 1917

This one is dated 1917. It is written on similar scrap paper as Winston's Own.
Maybe he had a bit of a 'ruck' with Gran

The Things I Might Have Said

They haunt me aye by night from morn till dewy night

They dim my ear with echoes drear they give me no reprieve

Their grim shapes rise before mine eyes alike in bath or bed they rob

My breast of all its rest those things I might have said

The smart reply, the timely lie, the plausible, the cutting jest

The sally direct in eloquent abuse –now one and all without my call

Hit madly through my brain, months and months to late for

Chance or fate to stage the scenes again why should it be

When maud twits at me that I but stand and stare and rack my mind

In vain to find the quip that is there; my brain is blank

My words are blank reply I cannot see yet where she fled

My timberhead just teems with repartee

Time moves to fast my wits out classed it cannot

Last the pace, my bat like eyes cannot decry what stares

Me now in the face. Wherefore the more I ponder o’er

The moments that have sped the more I wail without avail

The Things I Might have Said

F.A.I 1917

No comments: