London 1904

Friday 28 December 2007

71. 1918

1918 was a great year. Not only did it finally see the end of the ‘War to end all war’s’ in the November, it was the year F.A.I. married my dear granny.

F.A.I. must have had some shore leave and they wed in January at granny’s home in Duke Street, Edinburgh. I note from a clipping kept of the Edinburgh Evening News that many of the happy couples of that time also married at residential addresses. Maybe that was the done thing then with so many people wanting to get married at short notice.








On the wedding certificate F.A.I. is noted as a Gunner Royal Navy aged 32 (he was 33), granny is noted as a laundry maid aged 27. His date of birth was often mis-described. When he joined up to serve King and Country his year of birth was noted 1885 and later when he rejoined the merchant Seaman it was 1886, but his birth certificate says 1884.

As a family researcher I was glad they were married in Scotland as the Scottish Certificates give you mother’s maiden name, on birth certificates the time of birth and other information that is sadly lacking on English Certificates. Unfortunately this time as well as having F.A.I.’s age wrong, both mothers maiden names were also wrong. Luckily I already had this information, although with his mother Caroline, it did take an awful long time to discover the truth.
The marriage was carried out by the Rev Donald of Albany Street Church, Edinburgh, (sadly now a block of offices)
I would suspect that there wasn’t any proper honeymoon, as F.A.I. would have been called to Duty straight afterwards and certainly by his birthday in early February there is a Birthday card sent to him on the H.M.S. Settsu.

The next one is dated 26th April 1918 to granny
H.M.S. Settsu No650 this address is good
C/o Flagstaff
Devonport
26 April

Dear Wife
I had your letter of the 15th waiting for me this morning I was so pleased. There was one from Ethel and some letters from Mr Taylor and boys
The rest are going to leave tonight. Lovely weather – will write you all news so be happy as you understand me will send them all cards soon also May & Bella. Now dear take care of yourself till my next leave. All my love your F xxxxx

On the 1st May he received a postcard from a friend called Bill from Melrose. Melrose is where my dear granny was born.


Dear F
You will be thinking I am a fine one not letting you know I got your PC alright & was very please with them so & hope you will get this one also & I hope it won’t be long an you are back here again & was to tell you the chap was asking for you from your friend Bill


The other postcard I have of that year is one to his new bride. I wonder how often and how proud he was to address the person as Mrs F.A.I.
This was for granny's Birthday

To my Darling Wife Violet

with many happy returns of the day

And I hope your future days will never

be sad ones and may your path be one

Path of Roses from your ever loving husband F

No comments: