London 1904

Friday 6 July 2007

65. 1916 (or there abouts) & the family

Edward and Mabel were still in Australia and they remained there with their families for the rest of their days. From what I know Edward had a son and Mabel a son and daughter.

There are a few postcards knocking around between F.A.I.s sisters Ethel, Florrie and Ivy in and around 1916
(thank you PM, the great grand daughter of Ethel) but strangely enough nothing from Mabel or Edward

There is one that must pre date 1916 though that I had missed previously…. It is from Arthur to his sister Ethel (looking at it closely it appears to be 1912 when Ethel was at the Angel)

Dear E,
We will be pretty busy this weekend down here. I hope you enjoyed your Xmas. Thanks awfully for the card and tie pin, which was very nice of you indeed. What awful weather we are having down here. Ta Ta with
Love from Arthur


There are also couple pre the awful loss of Siddy in Feb 1916

From Maud
Dear little Dorrie
How are you getting on in school. I hope you are a good girl and kind to your little brother. How would you like to be in Canada, it is very hot in the summer and the reverse in winter. Write me a nice little letter won’t you. With lots of love and kisses for my little niece and nephew. Some day you will see me and be able to tell me al news about your little selves. So bye bye and god bless you my little darlings, from Auntie Maud

Dear Ethel
I received your P.C. some time ago and wanted to answer it in order to send you enclosed photo I hope you will like, if although I tried my best to look nice I did not succeed, I went to a good photographer & got half doz done & sent one to Arthur. How are dear babes, must write them separately soon the little dears, give them my love. Have not heard from Ted or F.A.I. All I know I am sure of is that Ted is broke & I awfully sorry but I think he is extravagant don’t you? Well so long from your affectionate Maud.. Write soon xxx


9th April 1916 Posted in Dublin
From Ivy to Ethel

Dear Ethel
I hope you are alright & little Dorrie (Babs)
I am wondering if you are still at Hampton
Yours Ivy

This one to Ethel from possibly Ivy (although it looks like an ‘H’, posted in Ireland post 26th April

Opposite Liberty Hall Headquarters of Rebels. Ship on this river blew it down.

The reference is to the Easter Risings. This was a rebellion staged in Ireland Easter week 24th – 30th April. The rising was an attempt by militant Irish republicans to gain independence from the UK.




8th Sept 1916 Buxton
From Florrie to Ethel

Dear E
Having an enjoyable time. Came here Saturday leave tomorrow ??? again Monday. Ascended the Heights of Abraham Tuesday & lovely it was. I guess you are preparing for you ??? bye love Florrie


26th December 1916
From Florrie to Ethel


Dear Ethel
I forgot to put address on note but I will be at Waterloo Station at 12 o’clock where I said. If you get this in time will you write me at the address below. I should be staying there Friday
Washington Hotel, Belize Park, South Hampstead


No comments: