London 1904

Sunday 8 July 2007

66.1916 - 1918 F.A.I. & Vi

All the time granddad was away at War I am sure his thoughts and heart were fixed on the girl he had met in Edinburgh, dear Violet.


The correspondence that has survived is in the form of postcards, unfortunately some are undated but clearly they were sent during WW1. Maybe there was more indication of his movements in the letters that were carefully wrapped and retained but were not kept after Granny’s death.


On the 28th February 1916 F.A.I.s service record states he was transferred to sea service. What or where this was exactly I am uncertain. But in 1916 it would seem from the addresses on the postcards he was on patrol of the coast of Britain between Scotland and Falmouth. Most certainly he was not serving in Japanese waters on a Japanese ship (well not that I can tell).
The first 2 postcards are numbered 1 & 3 (where 2 is and whether there was a 4th, 5th and so on I we will never know)

It is dated March 15 – HMS Settsu, A.M.O. Inverness, Scotland, NB. (I am guessing this is 1916?)

1. Dear Violet
Just a P.C. as I have just got some off a chum of mine on board here. Hope you got my letter of last week alright. I may tell you we have had a rough passage while on Patrol duty but I am alright am quite happy and am looking forward for the leave in a few moths time, I should think so. Write me soon as I have plenty of time to read (while I am on watch) …. Glad to see that he was watching for our interests with such dedication lol

3. And tell her I am writing to her soon. I must tell you we had a good time coming up from Portsmouth but was glad to get the boat from Inverness to Stornaway which is the Headquarters of the R.N. I came up with a big a Party from the Crystal but we have all got shifted on different when we got to Stornaway. All letters are got to be read by the chief but I have ???? all mine up to this Pesant ???? so you will know in future if I don’t say too much you know the reason why I cannot


29th April 1916
HMS
Oban July
D.V.
Just called here for an hour on our way to Stornaway where all the Cace is I don’t think so . Give my regards to Isabel & all. Its raining here. In Haste you F xxx

7th September 1916
HMS Settsu 7213 Naval Base Stornaway

Dear Violet
Just a card to remember you of the few hours we all had that Sunday. I am still in the pink. Trusting you are also all at No 10. Write soon. I have been very busy with the pen. So excuse in haste your F (your letter just to hand will write later of 1 Sept)

I wonder what he is referring to ‘I am still in the pink’?? Whether the card itself is a clue and they had a good old drinking session together and who knows what else?? Each hour/minute must have been precious
Also he refers to being busy with the pen … maybe it means writing to everyone or maybe he did write some more poems/thoughts that I do not have.

Although I did think this from his book was from his service time ‘When we’ve wound up the watch on the Rhine
Die Wacht am Rhein -- "The Watch on the Rhine" was a German patriotic song popular during the Franco-Prussian war 1870s. It became so hated by the allies in WW1 that this version was written and obviously it must have amused F.A.I.



This one is dated 5th January … which year is anyones guess but it is pre 1918

Settsu, Falmouth

Why no letter we are going away Monday or Tuesday to Dock not just sure which one, (may get leave then) hope you are well, have not heard from you since Dec 18th (then a section scribbled out )
Yours with love F X regards to all
(just got your letter of Jan 4th no others, may be waiting at Penzance)

They must have written a lot to each other with such regularity that a lapse in contact really unsettled him. I suppose it was the same for all the lads/lasses away from home and their loved ones.

Again no year but pre 1918
Sep 14 Glass Island

Dear Violet
Just another to your collection have just received Isabels letter, will write later on, hoping you are quite well, give my best to Hetty & May. I it is getting cold up here so we will be wearing our coats soon. I am expecting my weekly letter from you, am writing to Maud, will send you a letter in a day or so, be good.
Yours with lots of wishes F



Search as I have, I have no idea where Glass Island was/is. There is one in Venice which is feasible but doubtful (the front of the postcard is the same as the one above... must have been a job lot on board!!)


To FAI

with all the very Best Wishes for a Merry Xmas and a Prosperous New Year ...Tom & Ada (whoever they are ?)

No comments: